Monday Musings, Special Primary Edition: Republican House Primaries, David Foster Wallace, HD-67, Nan Rich Support, Democratic House Primaries

Expensive and intense Republican Primaries are helping incumbent Democratic House members, Carl Zimmerman, Karen Castor Dentel and Linda Stewart. While Republicans retain a shot at taking all three seats, the incumbent Democrats have benefited from the GOP Primaries and the Republicans that are nominated including rising star Chris Sprowles will have to quickly replenish their coffers if they are to make a real go at these seat. Each of the Republican Primary campaigns has involved some negativity so it is also possible whomever is nominated in each of the three seats will come into the general wounded. – KK @kkfla737

While there are many interesting primary races tomorrow, the main phrase to look our for will be “by how much.” While Crist is going to overcome Nan Rich, the big question will be the margin of victory. There are many incumbent Democratic legislators that we have mentioned in the last couple months –Zimmerman, Castor Dentel and Stewart – who have difficult races in the fall and their opponents will be determined tomorrow. It will be important to see how how well they do as a measure to see how well their campaigns are shaping up – big spreads will mean an organized well-run campaign, which could be a problem for some of the incumbent Ds. While many winners are pretty easy to pick, the big deal will be the margins.   –   KB@BurnettKaty

One of my favorite American writers, is the late David Foster Wallace. Every election, whether primary or general, I usually write some sort of piece surrounding one of his most memorable quotes: “If you are bored and disgusted by politics and don’t bother to vote, you are in effect voting for the entrenched Establishments of the two major parties, who please rest assured are not dumb, and who are keenly aware that it is in their interests to keep you disgusted and bored and cynical and to give you every possible reason to stay at home doing one-hitters and watching MTV on primary day. By all means stay home if you want, but don’t bullshit yourself that you’re not voting. In reality, there is no such thing as not voting: you either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some Diehard’s vote.” I dont care whom you support in these primaries, just make sure you get out there a cast a ballot otherwise, you are entrenching us in the status quo with no hope of progress.  – JS @JustinSnyderFL

Democrats around the state (except those who might be supporting Republican Chris Latvala) should be hoping Shawna Vercher is defeated in the HD-67 Primary. We at TFS have been aware of Ms. Vercher’s potential political baggage since she entered the race in March and many in the upper echelons of the Democratic Party are also leery of her nomination for these reasons. HD-67 is a district where President Obama received 52% of the vote in 2012 and is an area where Governor Crist is almost certain to beat Rick Scott. Since the seat is open it is a prime Democratic pick-up opportunity. But if Vercher is nominated, the Democrats are likely to pass on targeting the race. – KK @kkfla737

While I expect Charlie Crist to win the nomination handily tomorrow night, I can’t say that I’m thrilled about it. As I tweeted earlier last week, I will be voting for Nan Rich in the primary, not because I’m a vitriolic “Nan Fan” verbosely trolling the internet and attacking all that don’t agree, but because Charlie has not given me or other Democrats for that matter, a real reason to vote FOR him. I understand this is idea of party unity and trust me, many have implored me to support Crist because he presents our best chance to unseat Rick Scott. While that might be true, that does not mean that he is the best candidate to represent the values and principles of the Democratic Party or Florida’s working families that greatly suffered during his term ad Governor. Crist is a consummate politician constantly looking for ways to move up the political food chain, as seen by quitting the Governorship in an attempt to escape to Washington. When that got tough, he became and independent and when that didn’t work he joined our party. We are a big tent, but allowing a career politician to use our party and what it stands for to stay relevant, and dare I say put higher office on the table when he hasn’t paid his dues is something I can’t get behind at this time.  – JS @JustinSnyderFL

Rep. Ricardo Rangel has found himself in a primary battle in HD-43. The Florida Democratic Party has paid for staffing for Rep,. Rangel and Barbara Watson sitting members which to me is not a big deal. The Republicans do the same thing. However, Rep. Alan Williams and Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda and Rep. Kevin Rader also face primaries yet have not had staffing paid for by the party. This is a curious thing, though personally I do not have an issue with the party helping sitting members in primaries so long as they take the same attitude towards all primaries. The party apparently asked each of the members for staffing needs and some candidates responded and others did not. – KK @kkfla737

19 comments

1. OrlandoChris · · Reply

Please don’t be fooled by Crist or Scott. Support and vote for Adrian Wyllie.

2. A lot of us voted for Nan rich without agreeing with the trolls or liking the type of elitist campaign she ran.

3. David Fifer · · Reply

Informal poll of readers: How many of you received mail, phone calls or canvassers from the Rich Campaign? And where are you located?

Palm Beach County Democrat, never heard anything. I’m told she has a field program but I’m curious who she’s reaching out to.

1. I got calls and mail (Tampa Bay area).

1. I got more Rich mail than Crist mail. Three pieces from the Rich Campaign or her Political Committee.

2. David Fifer · · Reply

Kartik, you’re PBC, correct?

1. I am in Broward though everyone associates me with PBC since that is where much if not most of my political work was in my previous life.

2. David Fifer · ·

Gotcha. I’m curious what the targets were for her. Hit the base, or count on the base/try to flip undecideds. And what counties she’s hitting.

3. She’s spent a LOT of time in the Panhandle from what I gather and in Broward/Miami Dade.

3. In Sarasota I receive two pieces of mail and one phone call from Nan. I didn’t hear from Crist. I will be voting for Nan.

4. She has no field only the campaign the republicans gave her in mail and on TV.

Do not kid yourself. Nan Rich is a republican stooge.

1. You are obviously one of the Republicans the Crist campaign has on staff. You wouldn’t know a Democrat if you saw one.

5. Wendy Sejour (not hiding behind a pseudonym) · · Reply

Not only did I receive mail, but I personally phone banked every 3 or better Democrat in my precinct (the largest one in South Miami Dade County btw) at least once, some of them twice. The Florida Democratic Party finally sent out mailers on her behalf (too little, to late to change anyone’s opinion of the FDP). And, Obamacrat no one buys your bullshit anymore. Still too much of a coward to post under your actual name?

6. Concerned Democrat · · Reply

These Republican primaries will make little or no difference come the fall.

7. @David Fifer I’ve personally made thousands of calls for Nan as a volunteer.

8. Also if you feel the campaign hasn’t reached out enough to voters, you could always help out. http://www.nanrich2014.com/upcoming-events

9. Mark Lynn · · Reply

My forecast for tomorrow is as follows:
    Charlie Crist 70% – Nan Rich 30%
    Nan has a ceiling of 35% & a basement of 25%, so I’m splitting the difference. The lower the turnout, however, will mean a higher percentage for her. 70-30 was also the Chiles margin over Bill Nelson in 1990.

Sheldon should win the AG race over Thurston due mainly to name i.d. In the congressional races, my picks are Carlos Curbelo in 26 (I found pretty significant support for him in my old ‘hood during a visit last month) & Carl Domino in the 18th. No real surprises.

Since I’m presently in the Bay Area this week, I’m planning to drop by Charlie’s victory party tomorrow night.

10. I too am voting for Nan. I’m from Pinellas and know Crist. If he’s really changed he didn’t show it.

11. Vote for Nan Rich if you are a true Democrat!