We didn’t get to discuss the GOP New Hampshire primary on tonight’s TFS Radio show which focused on the Democrats but here are my quick takeaways:
- A real movement of those disaffected with politics exists and both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders believe it or not appeal to some of the same types of voters. This should be a wake up call for the establishment of BOTH parties. It is also worth noting that trade issues matter more than many elites might think – it drove Pat Buchanan’s strong New Hampshire showing in 1992, his 1996 win and tonight helped runaway winners on both side of the aisle.
- Chris Christie is pretty much out of the race for the GOP nomination after tonight’s showing. However, he embarked on a suicide mission to save the country on Saturday night, exposing Marco Rubio for what he is – a programmed droid who lacks the intellect to think for himself and a man who is willing the repeatedly subtly accuse the current occupant of the White House of sedition or even treason. From where I sit Rubio being defeated is more important than any single candidate in either party being elected. Marco Rubio believes in an America where only his views make you an American – we have not had a President like that since John Adams buckled to pressure from Alexander Hamilton’s Federalist faction and signed the Alien and Sedition Acts in 1798.
- Jeb! Bush is alive and could compete with Ted Cruz to win primaries in the south. President George W. Bush’s image has rebounded in some places and now that he will be used by his brother in the campaign, if the field remains crowded he could cut a path toward viability. Bush has the money and a better ground game than anyone but Cruz in the south. He’s not dead yet.
- John Kasich whom I personally like because he was the big advocate for my pet causes two decades ago (the killing of the B2 bomber) is alive but will struggle in the south. But this was a good day for him, finishing a solid second.
- Christie, Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson will likely be out of the race by the time we do our Thursday podcast which will focus largely on the GOP.